Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Visit with Guy, Wednesday

My name is Ethan Cary. I am a friend of Guy's and for several years have worked with him at PayPal - well, okay, actually now I work for him, as I am sure he would remind me :)

I visited Guy briefly this afternoon, and I also had the pleasure of meeting his mother and brother who were at his side when I arrived. Guy was very curious to hear how the PayPal team has been doing and I tried to catch him up as best I could on recent events. It was great to see him and see how well he is doing. I was shocked to see how easily he was able to swing his legs out of bed and stand up! Two especially remarkable moments occured during my visit:

1) The poster with all the PayPal well-wishes is posted on the wall across from his bed. At one point Guy pointed slowly and deliberately at the poster, looked me very squarely in the eyes, and then moved his hand over his heart. He has clearly been very moved by the support of the team. The impact of this silent communciation on me was much more profound than anything he could have said at that moment.

2) He wanted to know if I was okay because he had heard I was badly shaken on the day of the accident (I was one of a handful of folks who witnessed the fall). As I struggled to explain my feelings on that day he offered me advice about how to cope with the trauma. He was turning the tables on my visit and trying to make me feel better...he possesses a brand of strength and courage that I am sure I do not. Rock.

Guy received surgery yesterday on his left shoulder and tomorrow will have additional surgery on his right shoulder. In the interim he is hoping to receive visits from additional friends and co-workers this afternoon and evening.
Also, I picked up the GuyPod on my way out of the hospital and we will be refreshing it with new movies and other goodies today.

Keep the posts coming everyone!

- Ethan

3 comments:

zs said...

Hey Guy,
Best of luck with the recovery process. We're all thinking about you.
Take care,
Zulfi Shah (Paypal).

Unknown said...

It's been quite a while for some of us, but the Morrison family in New York sends their wishes. We hope to see you soon in Isreal.

James Chung said...

Hey Guy,

Just writing you a note from the War Room. We're all hanging out to roll out the 45.0 push tonight!

We're thinkging of you.

James