Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A message from Sam McKee

I'm Sam McKee, Guy's neighbor, friend, pastor/rabbi, and arch-enemy in video games. Guy was transferred out of ICU yesterday and was able to spend the night in a private room. It was a difficult night with aches and pains, but Adi was by his side, caring for him through the night. Guy's mother and I arrived at the hospital at about 6 a.m. this morning.

I went in to see him before surgery, hoping to give Guy some inspiration since Adi told the Security Guard at Regional Medical Center that I was their "pastor" last Friday, so she could get me into the ER.

So this morning, I tried going pastoral on Guy by saying: "Guy, my friend Dr. Hooper, a VP for Palo Alto Medical Foundation, has helped us with a lot of medical advice this weekend. And he always says it's beneficial for a patient to go into surgery with a positive mental picture in mind." Guy didn't miss a beat, and quickly said, "So... ah, why are YOU here then?" He smirked.

I couldn't believe it. The guy falls 25 feet onto his head and he's still smarter than me! : )

I smiled and said, "Alright buddy, you won this one, but I'm going to have the last word for the next few weeks while your jaw is wired shut."

I figured winning that mental duel would be plenty of inspiration, but I also had a Scripture to share with him. I said, "The Hebrew Prophet Isaiah wrote a verse of poetry that is perfect for a time like this. He wrote, 'Even youths grow tired and weary and young men stumble and fall, but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will rise up with wings as eagles."

"Eagles are very unique in the way that they deal with storms. Instead of avoiding a storm, they fly right into the eye of it, and harness it's power to rise above it. They angle their wings and instead of falling to the ground, the strong winds bounce them up to a higher elevation above the storm. This storm you are facing will only make you a stronger and better person and leader. You will rise above it. God has preserved your life and now the blessing that I pray for you is that He will give you a perfect surgery--that He will give your great surgeon wisdom and skill so you can return to health and strength very soon." That's what all of us are hoping and praying for today.

Guy went in for what is expected to be an 8-hour surgery at 7:30 a.m. this morning, and we expect to receive an update around 12:30 p.m.

1 comment:

Asaph said...

I think it will take more than twenty five or thirty feet to make Guy change his mind (no pun intended). Have you ever seen such stubbordnness and insistance? I haven't. What boggles my mind more than this is that for Guy this seems normal. It seems perfectly normal for him to respond in the way he did to what had happened.